October 19

UN chief calls to protect children from COVID-19 consequences

first_imgUN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called Thursday on families and global leaders to “protect our children,” who stand to suffer severe consequences of the pandemic even if they are at lower risk.”I appeal to families everywhere, and leaders at all levels: protect our children,” Guterres said in a statement, while presenting a report on the pandemic’s impact on children.”With the global recession gathering pace, there could be hundreds of thousands of additional child deaths in 2020.” Children’s health could also suffer. In an attempt to stop the spread of the virus, Guterres explained, “polio vaccination campaigns have been suspended. Measles immunization campaigns have stopped in at least 23 countries.”Multiple organizations and foundations estimated Tuesday that more than 117 million children could be deprived of measles vaccines due to the halt of vaccination campaigns.Before the vaccine was introduced in 1963 and became widely accessible, the world recorded major measles epidemics every two to three years that could cause about 2.6 million deaths per year, according to the World Health Organization. Topics :center_img According to the UN, this estimate could in one year destroy the progress made over the last two or three in lowering the infant mortality rate.As schools close across the globe due to the spread of COVID-19, children could also struggle with access to food, as “a staggering 310 million schoolchildren… rely on school for a regular source of daily nutrition,” Guterres said.The UN said that 188 of the 193 member nations have closed schools, affecting more than 1.5 billion children and youths.Furthermore, lockdown measures and increased global recession are fueling increased tensions within families, and “children are both victims and witnesses of domestic violence and abuse,” Guterres said.last_img read more

September 25

ASF alert: NegOcc beefs up southern border control

first_imgDecena cited the assistance andcooperation of concerned local government units as well as transport companiessuch as Vallacar Transit Inc., which have also been strictly requiringpassengers’ compliance with necessary permits in transporting meat products. Dr. Renante Decena, provincialveterinarian and task force co-chair, said they have deployed additionalveterinary inspectors, specifically in Kabankalan City, to strictly enforceanimal quarantine in the south. “This is a form of cooperation withthe government efforts in sustaining the status of the province as ASF-free,”Decena said. (With a report from PNA/PN) Decena also said human and animalvaccines transported and packed in styro boxes are now required to bepre-inspected at the ASF Task Force headquarters in the PVO building here. The preventive measure imposes the banon all live pigs and pork products from Mindanao ordered by Gov. Eugenio JoseLacson last month after cases of the deadly pig disease have been reported inDavao Region. Figures of the Provincial VeterinaryOffice showed that between February 24 and 29, inspectors have seized more thanP763,000 worth of pork and pork-related products from hand-carried, checked-inbaggage and cargo trucks or containers that arrived in various points of entryin Negros Occidental. He urged travelers to secure necessarypermits and declare any pork products they may bring for inspection.center_img The city’s Hilamonan village is one ofthe identified routes used for the transport of live pigs and pork productsinto the province from Mindanao. In Hilamonan alone, some P95,783 inbanned pork products have been confiscated. “We do this to avoid damage onvaccines and delay of transport,” he added. BACOLOD City – TheNegros Occidental Provincial African Swine Fever (ASF) Task Force furtherreinforced its animal quarantine checkpoint in the southern part of theprovince – considered as the usual entry point of cargoes from Mindanao. “The checkpoint in Barangay Hilamonanis fully operational,” Decena said.last_img read more

September 23

Virtual appointments available to ask questions about Ivy Tech

first_imgBatesville, IN—Ivy Tech Community College in Lawrenceburg and Batesville has been here to serve the community for many years and although the world has been unexpectedly impacted by COVID-19, its commitment to serving students is stronger than ever.Ivy Tech’s virtual courses are designed to provide students with the same support they receive in the classroom. Unlike other online programs where students never speak with their instructor, Ivy Tech’s virtual courses each have an assigned instructor to ensure each student gets the help they need. Additionally, free virtual tutoring services and student success coaching are available to every Ivy Tech student.Students interested in learning more about virtual classes can email [email protected] Ivy Tech Lawrenceburg is currently accepting virtual appointments to answer questions about virtual classes and the upcoming summer term that starts on June 8th. For the most updated information regarding Ivy Tech’s Lawrenceburg and Batesville locations, you can follow them on either Facebook at @ivytechlawrencburg or Twitter at @ivylburgbville.last_img read more