Solskjaer excited to lead Man Utd at Old Trafford for first timeby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United caretaker boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer admits it will be a special moment when he leads the team against Huddersfield at Old Trafford tomorrow.Solskjaer’s managerial stint is off to a fabulous start with the 5-1 victory at Cardiff City last weekend.He said, “Of course, you try to keep your emotions in check. I’m there to do a job, I’ve got to be focused. It’s not easy, I don’t think it will be easy but I’m looking forward to it. I think the boys are looking forward to playing at Old Trafford. That’s the key. We should be looking forward to playing there. I was sat next to Rene Meulensteen as a coach in a Reserves-team game there once, and I was there with Cardiff, but, of course, it will be special.”You can never set the bar too high. They [the players] are setting the standards. The players that play for this club, they’ve got high standards to live up to and, Saturday, it was not like they’ve outperformed themselves because you cannot outperform yourself. We want to look at this game, evaluate and look at a few clips. We can be better, we can understand each other better, so it will be good.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
OTTAWA – The price for registering Canada’s outrage over the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi went up exponentially Thursday, as Justin Trudeau revealed the penalty for cancelling a $15-billion arms deal with Saudi Arabia would be “in the billions of dollars.”The prime minister blamed Stephen Harper’s previous Conservative government — which signed the contract to sell light armoured vehicles to the desert kingdom — for making it so costly to cancel and for making it impossible for him to publicly reveal the exact figure.But he was accused by the NDP of inventing numbers to justify not cancelling the contract.Earlier this week, Trudeau signalled his reluctance to cancel the deal, saying he didn’t want “to leave Canadians holding a billion-dollar bill because we are trying to move forward on doing the right thing.”During a news conference Thursday with Netherlands Prime Minister Mark Rutte, Trudeau was pressed to say if that was a precise figure. He said the “extremely difficult contract” signed by the Harper government included a requirement for “total confidentiality” which prevents him from disclosing details.But he added: “Suffice it to say possible penalties would be in the billions of dollars but that is something we are looking at right now.”Trudeau also said that the government is “actively reviewing existing export permits” for arms to Saudi Arabia.While that review is underway, Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland said no new export permits will be approved.Canada temporarily suspended approvals of new export permits to the Gulf kingdom in 2017, while the government investigated allegations that Saudi Arabia had used Canadian-made armoured vehicles against its minority Shia Muslim population. The suspension was lifted a few months later after the investigation found no conclusive evidence of the allegation.While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau said Thursday it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on Saudi Arabia to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.“One of the things that we are working on as an international community is ways to put leverage and put pressure on Saudi Arabia to give better answers as to what actually happened to Jamal Khashoggi and to understand that protection of a free press is fundamental to protecting human rights and upholding the stability and prosperity of countries around the world,” he said.Khashoggi disappeared after entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2. Saudi Arabia initially insisted he’d left the consulate, then said he’d been killed in a fist fight inside the consulate and, on Thursday, finally admitted his murder had been premeditated.Turkish officials say a 15-man Saudi hit squad — including at least one member of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s entourage — tortured, murdered and dismembered Khashoggi, whose remains have yet to be found.Rutte said the Netherlands has had “a very restrictive arms sales regime” with Saudi Arabia for years and he pleaded at last week’s European Council meeting for other European countries to do the same.Lawmakers at the European Union passed a non-binding resolution Thursday calling on member countries to impose an EU-wide arms embargo on Saudi Arabia. The resolution also called on member countries to halt exports of “surveillance systems and other dual-use items that may be used in Saudi Arabia for the purposes of repression.”In the House of Commons, New Democrats urged the Trudeau government to follow suit.“Everyone knows the kingdom is one of the worst human rights offender in the world. This alone should be enough (to cancel arms contracts),” said NDP foreign affairs critic Helene Laverdiere.“What are the Liberals waiting for?”Transport Minister Marc Garneau, standing in for the prime minister, said the government strongly expects that “Canadian exports are used in a way that’s consistent with Canada’s foreign policy objectives and that fully respects human rights.”“We have frozen our export permits before when we’ve had concerns about their potential misuse and we will not hesitate to do so again.”Meanwhile, the London, Ont.-based company that won the contract to supply Saudi Arabia with light armoured vehicles announced Thursday that it is laying off more three dozen employees.In a written statement, General Dynamics Land Systems-Canada said it reviewed its current business environment and work forecast and “concluded that a workforce reduction of 37 salaried positions was necessary.”The company insisted the layoffs are “part of a normal cycle of work” and have “no connection to recent events that the government of Canada is addressing.”___ with files from The Associated Press and Kelly Malone in Winnipeg.
Six teams of internationally acclaimed Ice Carvers will be entering their sculptures, into this competition. A secondary ice carving event, with smaller entries, consisting of 12 competitors over the 1-day event.The World’s Largest SnowmanThe Guinness Book of World Records will be in attendance of the world’s largest snowman, estimated 130 ft tall, 45 ft wide at the base, complete with a scarf that’s over 100ft long!The Fort Nelson Trappers Rendezvous FORT NELSON, B.C. – Is hosting the Northern Lights Festival March 9th – 23rd, 2019, encouraging visitors to celebrate and experience the area with music to events that showcase the beauty and nature of Fort Nelson.The Festival brings the entire community together and will offer a variety of experiences to share the beauty of the north such as snowmobiling, building snowmen and a visit to Liard Hot Springs.The headliners for the festival are; The annual event, in collaboration with the Northern Lights Festival, promises to be like no other ever seen in the small northern community. The community event started in 1961 by the Lions Club.Northern Lights Canadian Open Sled Dog ChampionshipDowntown Fort Nelson, the race will take place on 50th Street, starting at the east end of town, racing along the road, out onto the Alaska Hwy, and back again.First Nations Handgames TournamentHandgames, a traditional Dene game of sport and skill, provides an opportunity for men and boys to practice and sharpen their abilities of detection, focus, and intuition, which benefits their traditional responsibilities to provide and protect.For more information on the Northern Lights Festival; CLICK HERE Bringing Canada’s Best Artists under the Northern LightsThe diverse selection of Canadian musical talent that will be featured at different venues around town will be a highlight of this event.For a list of attending artists; CLICK HERESeed to Seal Harvest ExperienceThis Seed to Seal harvest experience is something that people come from all over the world to see. In the past, it has only been open to 16 people a week, for 6 weeks out of the year. This is a hands-on emersion into the making of Essential Oils, see how we use every part of the plant to create the only Northern Lights Oil on the planet.Ice Sculpting
Ingredients Eggs 4 Sugar 3/4 cup Cake Flour 1/2 cup Baking Cocoa 1/3 cup Baking Powder 1 tsp Salt 1/4 tsp Strawberry/Raspberry Jam 1/2 cup Vanilla Ice cream (softened) 2 cups Confectioners’ Sugar Hot Fudge & Whipped ToppingPreparation Place egg whites in large bowl; let it stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and add 1/2 cup sugar on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt together twice; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well (batter will be very thick). In a large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Stir a third of the whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites. Spread evenly into prepared pan. Also Read – PUMPKIN MASH, TAMATAR RASSABake at 375°F for 10-12 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off paper. Roll up cake in towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool on a wire rack. Unroll cake; spread jam to within 1/2 inch of edges. Top with ice cream. Roll up without towel. Place seam side down on a platter. Cover and freeze for at least 4 hours before slicing. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar; serve with hot fudge topping and whipped topping. (Courtesy: Chef Sujeet Singh, Radisson Blu, Noida, Sec 55)
Seoul: North Korean leader Kim Jong Un called a full meeting Wednesday of a top committee of the ruling Workers’ Party to address what he described as the “prevailing tense situation”, state media reported. The gathering of the Central Committee comes after Kim’s Hanoi summit with US President Donald Trump broke up without agreement in February, and as South Korean President Moon Jae-in flies to Washington for talks with the US leader. But the North’s official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) appeared to indicate that Kim may be focussing on Pyongyang’s continued push to develop its economy. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from USIn a meeting with senior officials Tuesday, Kim ordered them to display “an attitude befitting the masters of the revolution and construction under the prevailing tense situation and thus follow through on the new strategic line of the Party”, KCNA reported. Last April Kim declared that the ruling party’s “new strategic line” would be “socialist economic construction” and its quest for nuclear development was complete. Kim made “a deep analysis of the matters pending urgent solution in the party and state”, KCNA said, adding that at Wednesday’s meeting the central committee will “decide the new orientation and ways of struggle in line with the need of the prevailing revolutionary situation”. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential pollsIt comes ahead of the opening of the country’s rubber stamp legislature on Thursday. Cheong Seong-chang, an analyst at the Sejong Institute, said it would be difficult for Kim to lay out a new policy direction while Trump continues to express a willingness to maintain dialogue. Instead Wednesday’s meeting could involve a reshuffle of party officials including Kim Yong Chol, the North’s top envoy for talks with the US, who has been “blamed the most for the failure of the Hanoi summit”, he said. “It would signal a green light if he is replaced with a more flexible and practical figure, but if he stays, denuclearisation talks won’t be easy,” Cheong said. Trump and Kim held their first landmark summit in Singapore last June, where the North Korean leader signed a vaguely-worded deal on the “denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula”.
The Columbus Blue Jackets suffered their second loss in as many days Friday night at Nationwide Arena. The Blue Jackets got off to a slow start in the first period of their 4-3 loss to the Chicago Blackhawks, allowing forward Patrick Kane and defenseman Brent Seabrook each to score a goal within the first six minutes. “We shot from the top,” Jackets coach Scott Arniel said. “A lot of good things happened, and some things went wrong.” But the Blue Jackets seemed to refocus following the goals, using a slow tempo to control the puck and hold it on offense, giving themselves time to set up a shot on goal. Once the offense settled down, the Blue Jackets answered the Blackhawks’ two goals with one of their own by forward Maksim Mayorov, his first ever in the NHL. “I was getting played,” Mayorov said, “but I just tried to tip it in.” The Blue Jackets’ second point came in the second period, with a power-play goal by center Derick Brassard, his 16th of the season. “It’s been 11 games since our last score on a power play,” Brassard said. He attributed the goal to what the team has been working on in practice. The game was close in the third period when a goal from Jackets center Samuel Pahlsson was answered almost immediately by the Blackhawks, tying the score at 3. The back-and-forth pace kept both teams moving throughout the third period, but failed to produce anymore points for either team, causing a tie and moving the game into overtime. Neither team was able to score in overtime, despite multiple shots on goal at both ends of the ice. This sent the game into a shootout to determine the winner. Both teams went through three shooters before Chicago was able to score a goal, taking a 4-3 lead and clinching the game. The Blue Jackets will be looking for a win at 5 p.m. Sunday in a home matchup against the St. Louis Blues.
World Cup players are just returned on Monday to training and might not be fit and ready for Friday’s game against Leicester CityManchester United boss Jose Mourinho is not happy.The manager has not gotten the new footballers he believes are required for the new season.He has also had many problems with players, especially with Anthony Martial.And now he has told the press that his team has six elements injured ahead of the Red Devil’s Week 1 match against Leicester City.Jose Mourinho is sold on Lampard succeeding at Chelsea Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho wanted to give his two cents on Frank Lampard’s odds as the new Chelsea FC manager, he thinks he will succeed.There really…“(Sergio) Romero, he had a surgery after his injury in the World Cup, (Antonio) Valencia, he was injured in pre-season, Marcos Rojo, he was injured in the World Cup, (Diogo) Dalot had a surgery in Porto at the end of April and is not yet ready,” he told the Leicester Mercury.“Ander Herrera was injured against Bayern, (Nemanja) Matic was injured in the World Cup and had surgery in Philadelphia a couple of weeks ago. And I think that’s it.”Adding to his problems are those who participated in the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.“They (the World Cup players) returned on Monday, trained Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and today so you can imagine that they are not really fit and ready,” he said.
Paris Saint-Germain are in the market for a Barcelona midfielder, with Ivan Rakitic or Sergio Busquets their two main targets before the transfer window shuts down.PSG have been linked with Manchester United’s Paul Pogba and Chelsea’s N’Golo Kante earlier this summer, but they have switched their focus to the Camp Nou duo since the English window closed.Quiz: How much do you know about David Villa? Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Time to test your knowledge about Spanish legendary forward David Villa.The Ligue 1 champions have asked about the availability of Busquets and Rakitic — but Barca are not willing to part ways with either, having agreed to a new deal with Busquets and seen Rakitic sign fresh terms last year.Reports say Busquets will have a release clause of almost £180 million in his contract, while PSG would have to pay some £112 million to have a chance of signing Busquets.The Parisians are aiming to become the first French club since Marseille in 93′ to win the Champions League title. And a solid midfield would help mount a serious challenge under Thomas Tuchel.
Former Barcelona defender Sergi Barjuan reckons Real Madrid’s Isco is a player that would interest his old club due to his style of playThe 26-year-old midfielder allegedly refused to shake hands with Real coach Santiago Solari after their 3-0 defeat at Eibar this month.Reports in Spain claimed that this was the reason behind Isco’s omission from Real’s 2-0 Champions League win at AS Roma last week.The Spain international is yet to handed a start by Solari in his seven games in charge of Los Blancos, which has fuelled rumours of a potential exit.And Barjuan reckons Barcelona could be one of those clubs interested in signing Isco.“I don’t know how each coach manages their starting line-up and backups, but it’s true that coaches are there to take decisions,” Barjuan told Radio MARCA.Top 10 players who played for both Barcelona and Valencia Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Time to talk about the best players who represented both Barcelona and Valencia, prior to their La Liga encounter at Camp Nou this evening.“Solari took a decision. From Barcelona’s point of view, he is a player who could interest them because he plays with touch and can link up with people well.“With this, we’re speaking a little bit in a joking manner. In the end, the season is long and Real Madrid will have a lot of matches and will need everyone.”Barjuan spent 12 years at Barcelona and made 382 appearances at senior level after graduating through the youth ranks.The Catalan left Barcelona in 2002 with three La Liga titles, two Copa del Reys and Supercopa de España crowns along with the UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup.Barjuan now coaches Chinese side Zhejiang Greentown.