November 20

Sovereign among Group One stars heading to Bahrain | Racing News

first_imgFive Group One winners feature in a final field of 14 for this month’s £500,000 Bahrain International Trophy after the supplementary stage closed.Aidan O’Brien is set to saddle 2019 Irish Derby hero Sovereign, last year’s Queen Anne Stakes winner Lord Glitters represents David O’Meara, dual Canadian International Stakes winner Desert Encounter runs for David Simcock – and Saeed bin Suroor calls on 2019 Jebel Hatta victor Dream Castle.- Advertisement – Two spots in the field are guaranteed for locally-trained horses, and the two Bahraini-based contenders are confirmed as Port Lions (Fawzi Naas) and What A Welcome (Hesham Al Haddad).Shaikh Salman bin Rashed Al-Khalifa, executive director of Rashid Equestrian & Horseracing Club, said: “We are absolutely delighted with the class of horses that we have attracted to this year’s Bahrain International Trophy.“To have five individual Group One winners in the field – compared to only one last year – shows the leap in quality. We are very grateful to the trainers and owners for placing their trust in Bahrain, and we very much look forward to welcoming them.” The Ballydoyle trainer said: “Sovereign is a strong mile-and-a-quarter horse. He is a very strong galloper who likes to go forward in his races, and we think the Bahrain International Trophy will suit him.”John Gosden saw Turgenev finish second in the inaugural race last year and will be hoping to go one better with Global Giant, who will be ridden by Frankie Dettori for owner HH Shaikh Isa bin Salman Al Khalifa.Andrew Balding and King Power Racing were sixth with Pivoine in 2019 and are back this year with Bangkok – while Lady Wannabe (Fozzy Stack), Certain Lad (Mick Channon), Pogo (Charlie Hills) and Quest The Moon (Sarah Steinberg) complete the European challenge.- Advertisement – – Advertisement – Adding further top-level interest on November 20 is the Japanese-trained mare Deirdre (Mitsuru Hashida), whose big wins include last year’s Nassau Stakes at Glorious Goodwood.Barney Roy has suffered a minor setback and will miss the race, but Godolphin will still be doubly represented – with Mark Johnston’s Royal Ascot winner Dark Vision joining Dream Castle.Supplemented at a cost of £10,000, Sovereign will be O’Brien’s first ever runner in Bahrain.- Advertisement –last_img read more

December 26

Real Madrid plotting mega money move for Thibaut Courtois and Willian

first_imgThe west London club will only have until August 9 to find a new keeper if they accept the bid with Jack Butland the most likely candidate to replace the Belgian.Chelsea would then have until the end of the month to tie-up a deal with Madrid to send Courtois to Spain because La Liga’s window will remain open until August 31.Meanwhile, the signing of Willian could free Gareth Bale up more on the pitch ahead of the 2018/19 season.The European champions have been quiet in the transfer market so far this summer, with right-back Alvaro Odriozola being Los Blancos’ only summer signing. How the Premier League table could change after the Boxing Day fixtures Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? smart causal Real Madrid have offered Chelsea £100m for goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois as well as midfielder Willian, according to sources in Spain.Courtois – who has one year remaining on his contract at Chelsea – has made no secret of his wish to move back to the Spanish capital, where his children live. Premier League Team of the Season so far, including Liverpool and Leicester stars LATEST CHELSEA NEWS shining Every current Premier League club’s best kit from the past decade silverware Courtois has said his heart is in Madrid in the past 1center_img England’s most successful clubs of the past decade, according to trophies won REVEALED possible xi REVEALED How Chelsea could line up against Southampton – what system will Lampard play? Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won gameday cracker And Willian – who gave a good account of himself at the World Cup this summer – appears to be fielding a number of offers from some of Europe’s elite clubs.The Brazilian could have moved to Barcelona but the Catalan club were put off by Chelsea’s £70m asking price and decided to spend half that on Malcolm instead.Reports in Italy also emerged that the Blues have accepted a £66m bid from Manchester United.However, Real Madrid appear determined to hijack that move and the Daily Mail has claimed Chelsea are “seriously considering” the double swoop offer. possible standings last_img read more

December 21

Lifeline Inishowen to submit final funding petition in an attempt not to close

first_imgManagement at Lifeline Inishowen, a domestic violence service, are set to submit a final petition for reinstating funding at Leinster House on Wednesday, June 26. The news comes as the service continues to financially struggle to keep its door, a struggle that has been ongoing over the previous nine years.Last month, the manager of Lifeline Inishowen told Donegal Daily that failure to provide funding for the centre in Carndonagh will cause further abuse and isolation for victims in north Donegal.  The centre, which helped over 46 women last year with domestic violence cases, has not been sanctioned government funding since 2011 despite the efforts of the centre over the last four years.“Nothing has changed this year despite the ratification of the Istanbul convention, which is a legal instrument that focuses on combating violence against women and domestic violence,” Mary Doherty said.“More services like Lifeline Inishowen should be welcomed and supported in rural Donegal.“I do not understand why there cannot be sufficient national level coordination with Lifeline Inishowen, particularly since the outreach was created by the local community itself,” Doherty added. The Inishowen group received only €3,200 out of the €650,000 Tusla funding granted in 2018, strictly for child counselling services. “Lifeline Inishowen has been of great benefit to the patients of this practice over the last number of years. Our local community supports and depends upon it and we look forward to its continued presence in Inishowen,” said Dr Ken Devlin.“Lifeline Inishowen is an essential service which is at the frontline providing services to vulnerable women and children.“There have been significant improvements for the families involved. When children are in need of therapeutic services they need to be seen as soon as possible.”Officials from the government insist the Donegal Women’s Centre in Letterkenny is suitable to cover the entire county, leaving those in Inishowen as far as 65km from the centre. “The counselling service in Lifeline (Inishowen)has responded immediately and offered a service which meets the needs of each individual child and family,” highlights social worker, Annette Duffy.“The service needs to continue in Inishowen given that Inishowen is very rural and families do not have transport to Letterkenny where most therapeutic services are placed.“Should Lifeline cease to exist, I fear that children and families in Inishowen will lose a valuable service which will have a detrimental effect on their future development”Lifeline Inishowen to submit final funding petition in an attempt not to close was last modified: June 22nd, 2019 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:InishowenLifeline Inishowenlast_img read more

December 19

Who Wins and Loses in the Darwin Wars?

first_img(Visited 9 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0 Sandra Lilley, writing in MSNBC News, pictures sad-faced students, whose scientific inquisitiveness has been stifled by the controversy over evolution.  The article starts with a touching photo of a young girl, a look of wonder in her eyes, examining a toy human skeleton.  “Science is becoming a political ‘hot potato’ for some students,” she describes, “transforming what should be a dynamic, fascinating topic into a total turn-off” (emphasis added in all quotes).  “And some students are choosing silence over losing a prom date.”    Lilley quotes only pro-evolution spokespersons (some nominal Christians) who express the opinion that the next generation of scientists is being threatened by creationists and politicians raising a ruckus over evolution, leaving students bewildered over a conflict they don’t understand, preferring to avoid the subject as a result.    The only evidence offered for evolution in the article is from Ken Miller: “If a child becomes a pharmacist and someone develops a resistance to a drug, that is evolution,” he said.  Miller argues that society will be at a disadvantage if we don’t teach evolution, which he equates with basic science.    A different point of view was offered by high school science teacher Doug Cowan (Port Orchard, Washington), writing for the Christian Science Monitor.  In his experience, he claims, students become stimulated over his non-sectarian “teach the controversy” approach. I am a public high school biology teacher, and I do an unusual thing.  I teach my students more than they have to know about evolution.  I push them to behave like competent jurors – not just to swallow what some authority figure tells them to believe – not even me – but rather to critically analyze, with an open mind, the evidence set before them….Teenagers, not surprisingly, find this approach exhilarating. (Emphasis added in all quotes.)He finds that the students “perk up” when he points out that “contrary to their large and monolithic biology textbook, some highly credentialed scientists insist that there are limitations to Darwin’s theory.”  When he displays some of the alleged evidences for evolution that have been found fraudulent (Piltdown Man, Haeckel’s embryos), “the sleepy looks in the classroom usually vanish.”    Cowan, however, is not on an anti-evolution crusade.  He also lays out all the “reputable evidence for evolution,” the “pillars of evolutionary theory” such as bacterial resistance, finch beaks and genetically altered fruit flies, then challenges the class to reason whether these observed microevolutionary changes can be extrapolated into macroevolution.    By maintaining a neutral stance, letting them examine all the evidence and make up their own minds, Cowan says his approach is on firm legal footing.  Students and parents alike seem to appreciate his method.  Students feel liberated to weigh the evidence for themselves.  “The job of the scientist, I explain, is to find the best explanation to a problem, not just to defend his or her own position at all costs.”  For support, he quotes Charles Darwin: “A fair result can be obtained only by fully stating and balancing the facts and arguments on both sides of each question.”Evolution can be taught skillfully and poorly.  Anti-evolution can be taught skillfully and poorly.  Reporting on either can be done skillfully or poorly.  Here are two examples for you to evaluate.    No reputable anti-evolutionist wants students to become afraid of the controversy over evolution and become tempted to shut up.  No reputable pro-evolution teacher should want the class to be indoctrinated, nor have a student feel browbeaten for having honest questions about evolution.  Cowan seems to have hit the sweet spot.  Can anyone really doubt that learning to think critically is going to help the next generation of scientists?    The only losers in the Darwin Wars, when fought fairly, are the indoctrinators who don’t want the students to know about Haeckel and Piltdown and the other dirty laundry in the textbook.  Watch the film Icons of Evolution, including the Q&A in the bonus features, for a fuller defense of the “teach the controversy” approach.  And teachers: feel free to use our eight-part, non-religious curriculum (see 02/11/2005 commentary) for supplementary material the textbook left out.  Watch those young eyes perk up….last_img read more

November 28

Gagan Narang wins bronze in 10m Air Rifle, gives India its first medal at the 2012 Olympics

first_imgIndia’s rifle shooter Gagan Narang clinched the bronze medal in the men’s 10-metre air rifle event while his illustrious compatriot and defending champion Abhinav Bindra failed to qualify for the final round in the 2012 London Olympics at the Royal Artillery Barracks on Monday.The gold went to Romanian Alin George Moldoveanu with a total score of 702.1 (599 qualifying, 103.1 final) and Italian Niccolo Campriani bagged the silver with 701.5 (599 qualifying, 102.5 final).Narang, who is participating in his third Games, had a total score of 701.1 (598 qualifying, 103.1 final). Going into the final round, Narang was third. In the final round, Narang had a series of 10.7, 9.7, 10.6, 10.7, 10.4, 10.6, 9.9, 9.5, 10.3 and 10.7 to give India its first medal from the London Games. It was the third time in row that Indian shooters had won medals at the Olympics. Double trap shooter Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore won the silver in 2004, Bindra gave India a historic gold in Beijing, and now Narang has bagged a bronze in London.Bindra, India’s only individual Olympic gold medallist, failed to qualify as he shot 594 to finish 16th out of 47 contestants.In the qualifying round, Narang, who missed the final round in Beijing Games on a countback, was in his elements. The 29-year-old Hyderabadi shot perfect series of 100 in all the rounds except the third when he scored 98. He also shot 53 inner 10s.Bindra had just two series of perfect 100 in the third and the fourth round. He shot 99s in the first, second and fifth and faltered in the sixth, when he shot 97. The top eight shooters qualified for the final round. Former Olympic champion and Beijing Games silver medallist Zhu Qinan of China also failed to qualify for the final round.advertisementBindra said luck deserted him during the qualification round of the 10 metres air rifle event at the 2012 London Games here Monday.”Time was running out and I had to take some risks. Needed a little luck for some shots and I didn’t get it. I am disappointed, but love the sport, love shooting so am sure I’ll continue. I think I did a reasonable job. I could have retired on a high after the Bejing gold but that would have been the easy way out,” Bindra told reporters at the Royal Artillery Barracks here.”I am glad I had the courage to come back and try again even though I have failed. I will still go away from London Olympics having learnt a lot,” said the former World Champion.Bindra hoped his compatriot Narang will bag an Olympic medal. Narang fell two short of his world record score of 600. In fact, Narang is the only shooter to have shot a possible 600 twice.”I would like to wish Gagan the very best. He shot an excellent qualifying round, think he will do very well in the final,” Bindra said. Narang, who missed the final round in Beijing Games on a countback, was in his elements. The 29-year-old Hyderabadi shot perfect series of 100 in all the rounds except the third when he scored 98. He also shot 53 inner 10s.Meanwhile, Bindra had just two series of perfect 100 in the third and the fourth round. He shot 99s in the first, second and fifth and faltered in the sixth, when he shot 97. The 29-year-old Narang – who shot four golds in the Delhi Commonwealth Games and was always considered a big hope alongside Bindra in the event – made up for his compatriot’s luckless show by earning India it’s third Olympic medal from the sport.Narang had given enough indications of his class in a pre-Olympics event in Germany’s Hannover by scoring 704.3 – that was higher than the world record of 703.1 set by Thomas Farnik of Austria in the 2006 World Cup.The Indian shooter, participating in his third Games, however, was a shade below his Hannover high, managing an aggregate of 701.1 (598 qualifying, 103.1 final). Narang’s success has added to India’s less than impressive medal count – which now stands at 21 comprising nine golds, four silvers and eight bronzes – in Olympics history.Hockey alone has provided 11 metals (8 gold, 1 silver and two bronze medals). Apart from the three in shooting, the Indians have got two each in athletics and wrestling and one apiece from weightlifting, tennis and boxing.last_img read more

November 28

Amitabh Bachchan stars in R. Balki’s Shamitabh

first_imgMegastar Amitabh Bachchan’s new film with R. Balki has a peculiar title. While the film has been creating a buzz ever since it was launched, Balki has now announced it will be called Shamitabh.Balki and Big B have worked together in films such as Paa and Cheeni Kum earlier, so Shamitabh should be a film worth watching. The film also features Rajinikanth’s son- in- law Dhanush, and marks the debut of Kamal Haasan’s younger daughter Akshara Haasan.” We are happy to announce that the film is titled Shamitabh. The title has SH before Amitabh. We are half way through the shoot of the film. Will finish ( the shoot) and talk more about it. Right now, I’m enjoying watching the lethal combo of the intensity of Amitabh Bachchan, the intelligence of Dhanush… and the innocence of Akshara… in action daily The film casts Amitabh Bachchan and Dhanush ( sic),” said Balki, about his forthcoming project.The film details have been kept under wraps so far. Bachchan, however, could not hide his excitement about the unique title of the film. ” Shall be disclosing name of R Balki film do log in it is quite unique and different!! ( sic),” he tweeted on Wednesday.last_img read more

September 17

Klopp responds to Kyle Walkers tweet

first_imgLiverpool boss Jurgen Klopp claims he never celebrated another team dropping points after Kyle Walker made a mockery of the Reds 1-1 draw with Leicester on TwitterHarry Maguire’s first-half leveler ensured Klopp’s men would not go seven points clear at the top of the Premier League after City’s 2-1 loss to the Magpies.Walker posted a popular meme of Maguire from the World Cup with the caption: ‘So basically they thought they were gonna go seven points ahead’. He deleted it, but it quickly went viral.Kyle Walker just posted this tweet and quickly deleted it…👀 pic.twitter.com/7I4IHvysrE— PurelyFootball (@PurelyFootball) January 31, 2019When quizzed about it City boss Pep Guardiola said: “I’m not concerned about the social media of the players, what they tweet or Instagram, or other social media. I cannot control it.”Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane, LiverpoolMo Salah laughs off Sadio Mane incident with a brilliant video Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Mohamed Salah laughed off his little spat with Liverpool team-mate Sadio Mane by posting a brilliant video showing they’ve made up.Klopp who didn’t know about the tweet, told the BBC: “I cannot help that. I am not sure what that says about us, it says something more about the other person.“I never celebrated that another team dropped points or lost a game. For me, that’s not allowed.“For supporters, it is a little bit different, for people involved I don’t understand.”He added: “There will always be a bunch of people who hope you win and another bunch who hope you will lose.“You have to ignore both in your preparation, and in the end hopefully you celebrate with the ones who want you to win something.”City are five points adrift of Liverpool, with 14 games of the season remaining.last_img read more