On Monday, a group of students, who came here by way of UBC’s medical undergraduate’s Integrated Community Clerkship program, spoke to City Council about coming to Fort St. John for experience in medical training at the local hospital.Started in 2004, six communities in BC have been taking third-year students in for a year to work at their hospitals/care clinics — Chilliwack, Terrace, Cowichan Valley, Trail, Vernon, and of course, Fort St. John.In Fort St. John, the hospital is on it’s 7th team of students, having started accepting them in 2008.- Advertisement -Taneille Johnson grew up in Charlie Lake, and spoke about the support she felt coming back to the community after a few years being away.“I chose Fort St. John because I knew I’d get the support I needed to become a physician,” she said.The other students were formerly from the Lower Mainland, but found other parts of the province to call home before saying the same about Fort St. John.Advertisement UBC Residency and ICC Director Kim Furlong said UNBC also offers a Northern Medical Program, in partnership with UBC, at the Fort St. John Hospital.In this program, students can stay and work at a hospital for extended periods at a time — generally, 2 years for family medicine, and longer other specific practices. Jeanette Madsen was raised in Mission, and earned her undergraduate in Kelowna before heading north.Brett McCarthy grew up in Chilliwack, but said he lived in many different places because his father, an RCMP officer, was often re-located.Langley-raised James Vanderhoorst took the opportunity as a chance to gain valuable, hands-on experience in a small market — his wife was raised in Smithers, and he also saw it as a good opportunity to take on small-town living for himself, along with her and their 2-month old daughter.The students said they came here a year ago to take a tour of the town before committing to the ICC, with Councillor Larry Evans as their guide. The tour seemed to win them over, as they now call the city their home.Advertisement
The Mica Action Group (MAG) are to hold their first public meeting since the announcement in October last year of the Mica redress scheme for homeowners in Counties Donegal and Mayo.This meeting will be held on Wednesday July 24th 2019 from 8.00-9.00pm in An Grianan Hotel, Burt.Ann Owens Chairperson on the Mica Action Group said since the announcement in October 2018 that the government will support the rollout of a redress scheme to fix the homes affected by defective blocks, homeowners have waited patiently for more information. She said the Mica Action Group (MAG) have continued to engage with Government officials at both national and local level to request further clarity and to stress the importance of launching this scheme without further delay.“There has been progress in the form of Cabinet approval in May 2019 through significant support from Minister Joe McHugh’s office – which was a huge step forward in illustrating Government commitment to the issue.“However, aside from being told that the scheme will be administered by Donegal County Council (DCC), information on the scheme and how homeowners can apply for this redress has not been officially released and MAG and all affected homeowners are getting increasingly frustrated at the stalemate.“Therefore MAG are hosting this information evening in order to provide homeowners with as much information as we can at present. We have also asked a number of people who are instrumental in rolling out this scheme to attend and to speak at the event. “Damien Mc Kay, Consulting Engineer from Letterkenny is one of these key speakers. Damien was one of the first people who raised this issue in late 2013 after seeing a pattern of unusual cracking in more and more homes across the county. Damien has since undertaken assessments on hundreds of homes across the county and has acted as a spokesperson on the mica issue at Government level over the last number of years. He most recently trained and certified the newly formed cohort of engineers through Engineers Ireland who will form a key aspect of the redress scheme process.“Councillor Martin McDermott will also speak on the evening. Martin is a member of the newly formed mica steering group at Donegal County Council. This mica steering group will become more and more important over the coming months and years due to DCC’s key role in the scheme’s implementation. Martin will give an update on where DCC are with regard to the scheme.“Finally, a panel of key stakeholders including MAG, Damien McKay and Councillors; Martin Mc Dermott, Bernard McGuiness, Albert Doherty and Martin Farren who are all members of the DCC mica steering group, will be available in a question and answer session where questions will be taken from the audience. The information evening is open to everyone. This event will be followed by a (members only) AGM from 9.00-10.00pm. We would hope that these events will get a large turnout and will hopefully answer some key questions for affected homeowners on what to do next.“It is time for some real action and to see this scheme prioritised by all those tasked with its rollout. In the meantime, people are still living in fear. We need to see those in the most urgent need prioritised now without any further delay.”For further information please contact The Mica Action Group on [email protected] or by telephone on 086 8648888. Media enquiries to Eileen Doherty, Mica Action Group on 087 2910106/ email [email protected] Background: The Mica Action Group is a voluntary group formed in early 2014 by individuals whose own homes are cracking due to defective blocks. The objective of the group is to seek redress for homeowners affected by this issue. The group has engaged with government on a local and on a national level to determine the exact scale and the cause of the problem in the county.MICA meeting to give clarity to frustrated homeowners across Donegal was last modified: July 15th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:bricksdonegalmeetingMICAredress scheme
Subscribe to the Mercury News and East Bay Times for $40 a year and receive a free Warriors championship coffee table book.MILWAUKEE – Less than a month ago, the Warriors’ championship fabric appeared to be ripping apart.They had two All-Stars spending more time in the trainer’s room than on the court. They had two All-Stars arguing with each other. They had losses pile up faster than at any point when Steve Kerr coached the team in the past four years.Since then, the Warriors kept that …
New Delhi: In the next three months, the Delhi Assembly will go “paperless” as part of an ambitious project under which every MLA will be given tabs to keep abreast with House proceedings. Speaker Ram Niwas Goel told PTI that MLA seats will also have LCD computer screen through which they will be able to see list of business during the Assembly session besides reading questions and other documents pertaining to House proceedings. The Delhi government has sanctioned Rs 20 crore to fund the project after the Assembly Secretariat opted out of the Centre’s NeVA (National e-Vidhan Application), for all legislatures. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murder The Assembly’s technical advisory committee has approved the proposal, which has been sent to the finance department of the Delhi government for further procedure. “In next three months, the Delhi Assembly will go paperless. MLAs also can see from home whether his or her question to be asked during Session has been chosen or not. “The project is being executed with financial help of the Delhi government which has sanctioned Rs 20 crore for the same,” Goel said. Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchings According to a senior official, as per the plan, legislators will be provided tabs so that they are well-informed about House proceedings in advance. The official said that National Informatics Centre (NIC) is providing technical support to the Assembly Secretariat in executing the project. An agency will soon be hired to execute the “dream project” of Speaker, official said. According to him, in January this year, Delhi Assembly Secretary C Velmurugan had written to the Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs, saying that the General Purpose Committee, chaired by Speaker Ram Niwas Goel has decided to opt out of NeVA. “The Delhi Assembly proposes to implement the ‘Automation of Delhi Assembly project’ through resources of the Delhi government itself,” Velmurugan had said in the letter.
NEW DELHI: The draft for the Centre’s National Education Policy (NEP) is a “good wishful” document but there is no roadmap for how the changes will be implemented, according to Delhi’s Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia. Sisodia, who is also Delhi’s Education minister, said sans a step-wise implementation plan, the NEP may end up in a “disaster” like the no-detention policy.”Broadly, it is a good draft except a few small things here and there the concepts they have talked about are good. They have set targets that one has to reach rooftop but policy does not talk about step one that how will they reach there,” said Sisodia. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murder”That is what the disaster happened in no detention policy, right to education was made a fundamental right and no-detention policy was implemented without any preparatory measures. They could have said that in one year B.Ed programmes will be changed, next year books will be replaced, in the third year examination pattern will be revamped and then no-detention policy will be implemented. “Teachers did not know what to do and how. They just knew that they were not supposed to fail children. Similar thing can happen here, NEP implementation may end up like the no-detention policy,” he added. Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchingsA panel headed by former Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) chief K Kasturirangan had submitted the draft of the new National Education Policy (NEP) to Union Human Resource Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ when he took charge. The draft was then put in public domain to seek feedback from various stakeholders and over two lakh suggestions were received by the HRD Ministry about the same. “They have defined some good concepts like introduction of learning outcomes. But how? Their B.Ed programmes are running on rot learning and so are teacher training programmes. Has the government asked the National Council of Teacher Education (NCTE) to work on a draft B.Ed. programme in accordance with NEP?,” he said. “Unless there is roadmap for implementation it is a good wishful draft. They must fix the linkages and there should be an year-wise timeline for implementation,” Sisodia added. The existing NEP was framed in 1986 and revised in 1992. A new education policy was part of the Bharatiya Janata Party’s manifesto ahead of the 2014 general election. The drafting experts also took into account the report of a panel headed by former cabinet secretary T S R Subramanian and formed by the HRD Ministry when it was being headed by Smriti Irani.