January 12

Parika woman jailed for trafficking young girl

first_imgA Parika, East Bank Essequibo woman was jailed for three years after she was found guilty of human trafficking.Loretta Hyman, a shopkeeper, was last week sentenced to three years in prison for trafficking a young girl in the Mowasi Backdam area back in 2014.The charge had stated that between January 13 and January 20 that year, Hyman recruited and transported two women between the ages of 18 and 30, to the backdam for the purpose of sexual exploitation. However, she was just convicted under one count of TIP since the other victim refused to give evidence on the matter.Social Protection Ministry’s Trafficking In Persons (TIP) Unit, Coordinator Tanisha Williams-Corbin explained that the matter was tried ‘ex parte’. She urged the Guyana Police Force (GPF) to take the necessary action to ensure Hyman was found and brought to face her sentence.“This is another conviction for 2018 and justice was served. We would have liked to see restitution ordered for the victim during the sentencing, taking into consideration the length of time it took for her to stand court …what the victim would have had to endure in terms of her employment, taking care of her children,” Williams-Corbin is quoted by the Department of Public Information (DPI) as saying.The Coordinator said that the Ministry played its role in supporting the victims during that time.In 2014, Hyman’s daughter recruited the two women to work as a cook and a shopkeeper at their shop at Mowasi Backdam. On their arrival, the accused told the women that there were no vacancies in those positions.  She reportedly told them that there were vacancies for sex workers and that is the reason they were hired.The girls refused and called their relatives, who immediately contacted the Social Protection Ministry. The TIP department then contacted the Guyana Police Force. Measures were taken to rescue the females and have the accused stand trial in the court.last_img read more

December 25

CAP REFORM: POLICY WOULD WIPE OUT DONEGAL FARMERS, SAYS MEP

first_imgIf the government’s current strategy to secure a satisfactory outcome to the reform of the CAP fails to gain the necessary support, there could be no question of developing an alternative regionalisation policy, MEP Marian Harkin says.She was speaking after she had organised meetings in Brussels for farmers from her constituency.“These meetings involved briefings with European Commission officials and Irish MEPs, in which the farmers from Galway, Roscommon, Leitrim, Sligo, Donegal and Mayo were updated on the present status of the CAP reform process and gave their views of the particular requirements of family farmers in the West and Northwest”, Marian Harkin said. “The farmers were unanimous in emphasising the vital role of Pillar II of the CAP which contains the important income-sustaining schemes for disadvantaged areas,” she said.“Particular concern was expressed to the European Commission officials and MEPs that, in the event of failure to have a new CAP in place by January 1st 2014, the temporary regulations necessary to fund both Pillars at existing levels for 2014 should be agreed”, the Ireland North & West MEP added.“Of particular concern to the farmers was the suggestion by the Minister for Agriculture Simon Coveney that, if his approximation proposal proved unacceptable at European Council level, he would have to consider a regionalisation policy.”“Under no circumstances should Minister Coveney consider a regionalisation policy as its implementation would decimate family farming in the Western and North-western counties.” “As confirmed at our meeting with Commission officials, the European Commission would not be insisting on a regionalisation policy for any EU country and therefore there is absolutely no pressure on Ireland to introduce one,” Marian Harkin MEP concluded. CAP REFORM: POLICY WOULD WIPE OUT DONEGAL FARMERS, SAYS MEP was last modified: November 27th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:CAP REFORM: POLICY WOULD WIPE OUT DONEGAL FARMERSSAYS MEPlast_img read more

October 24

Health Minister says Feeding Policy Will Reduce Child Mortality

first_imgMinister of Health, Hon. Dr. Fenton Ferguson, says the development of a National Infant and Young Child Feeding Policy will assist in reducing mortality and morbidity of infants and children by addressing their nutritional needs. Speaking at a validation workshop for the policy at the Jamaica Pegasus hotel in New Kingston on Thursday, March 6, Dr. Ferguson said it will also help to bring Jamaica closer to achieving Millennium Development Goal (MDG) Four, which is a two thirds reduction in the under five mortality rate by 2015. Currently, Jamaica’s infant mortality rate (0-1 year) stands at 20 per 1,000 live births, while the child (under five) mortality rate is 22 per 1,000 live births. “In 2000, Jamaica’s child mortality rate stood at 24 per live births, which means that by virtue of our MDG commitment, we are required to achieve between nine and 10 per 1,000 live births by 2015. It is clear that we have much work ahead of us to get to where we need to be,” Dr. Ferguson stated. “Every child has the potential for greatness and it is incumbent on us as adults to enable them to attain optimal health to provide the opportunity to achieve their full potential,” he said. The draft policy seeks to create a sustainable environment that will contribute to a reduction in child morbidity and mortality and improvement in child health and nutrition. It is guided by the recommendations set by the World Health Organization (WHO) in its Global Strategy for Infant and Young Child Feeding, and is supported by the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF). The WHO recommendations include: initiating breastfeeding within one hour of birth; breastfeeding exclusively for the first six months; and thereafter, providing nutritionally adequate and safe complementary foods; and continuing breastfeeding for up to two years of age or beyond. According to the Health Minister, development of the Infant and Young Child Feeding Policy is a mark of the Government’s commitment to improving the health of the nation, while fulfilling the country’s international obligations related to health and sustainable development. He said it will also provide the operational framework needed to guide implementation of initiatives to reduce the burden of non-communicable diseases (NCDs) on the population, starting with children. He noted that NCDs, such as diabetes, cancer, and cardiovascular disease, account for over 60 per cent of deaths in Jamaica. “They interfere with people’s capacity to work and provide for their families and are a cost burden for many, who are thrust further into the depths of poverty,” the Minister argued. The Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) estimates that about 130 million children worldwide are undernourished and this contributes to 53 per cent of deaths in young children, mostly in developing countries. Under-nutrition in childhood results in diminished intellectual ability and a reduced capacity to work in adulthood.last_img read more