October 24

Industrial Relations Landscape Remains Stable

first_imgMinister of Labour and Social Security, Hon. Derrick Kellier, says the industrial relations landscape remains stable, despite an increase in the number of disputes reported. This, he says, has been due to the Ministry’s ability to adequately address and resolve the issues. “Despite some increase in the number of reported cases, I am happy to report that the Ministry has the capacity and the mechanism to respond and settle most of these cases,” the Minister said, during his contribution to the 2013/14 Sectoral Debate in the House, on Tuesday, June 4. He noted that the Industrial Relations section of the Ministry has continued its mission of promoting and maintaining industrial peace throughout Jamaica, given that a stable environment is important for productivity and growth. “Despite the increase in the number of disputes reported, there has been a 40 per cent decrease in the number of work stoppages – a clear signal that the Jamaican workforce is operating in a robust and mature industrial relations environment,” he informed. Citing figures from 2011/12, the Mr. Kellier noted that the Ministry was able to resolve 199 or 69 per cent of the 289 disputes reported. For last year, 379 disputes were reported, with 320 or 84 per cent of the cases settled. The Minister noted that these results can also be attributed to stakeholders becoming increasingly aware of the importance of industrial stability to the nation. “It also demonstrates the maturity that is needed in building a nation, as we strive for a productivity revolution to stimulate growth in the economy,” he said. Mr. Kellier pointed out that the Ministry continues to work with organisations, schools and other institutions to sensitise the nation about the Labour Code and Labour Laws. “I would like to take this opportunity to formally recognise the Jamaica Household Workers Union as a licensed association to represent and promote the interests of some important players in the process of nation-building. The association was duly recognised by the International Labour Organization (ILO),” he added. Contact: Alecia Smith-Edwardslast_img read more

October 18

Ponzi scheme company ED attaches assets worth 261 cr

first_imgNew Delhi: The Enforcement Directorate has attached assets worth Rs 261 crore in connection with its money laundering probe against a Haryana-based multi-level marketing group that allegedly perpetrated Ponzi schemes and cheated investors, officials here said on Saturday.The attached properties include residential plots, agricultural land, and residential units belonging to Hisar-based Future Maker Life Care Pvt Ltd and its two Directors Radheyshyam and Bansilal, their family members and associates. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’The 16 immovable properties that have been attached under provisions of the PMLA are located in Hisar, Adampur, Kulam, Delhi and Chandigarh apart from bank balances worth Rs 252 crore held in 34 accounts. The total value of the attachment is Rs 261 crore, the ED said. The financial probe agency said it filed a PMLA case in March this year after taking cognizance of FIRs registered against the group by the Telangana police for cheating the common public by propagating a false theme of “a life turning opportunity to earn an income of Rs 20,000 to Rs 10 lakhs per month”. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&KThe ED said the group invited gullible people to become members of their Ponzi pyramid scheme “in the guise of” multi-level marketing by selling products like suit length and edible items. The agency alleged funds were fraudulently collected from subscribers as a deposit towards membership in the scheme through a chain of agents spread across India. These deposits collected through the schemes were illegally diverted into the personal accounts of the directors, their family members and other associates and even to other shell companies incorporated by the two directors, the ED said. “They also cheated the public by falsely claiming that their fraud pyramid scheme was a legitimate direct selling network scheme by introducing sub-standard products like cheap suit lengths and supplements,” the agency said. The ED’s probe revealed that the company had illegally collected around Rs 2,950 crore from lakhs of members and the same has been identified as the proceeds of crime in this case, it said.last_img read more

September 17

Magnetic Media in Freeport Hurricane Matthew Recovery Reports

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI, November 18, 2016 – Magnetic Media is headed to Freeport for special coverage of Hurricane Matthew recovery on the island which is still on the rebound.   Resorts and major businesses are closed… so many structures destroyed and residents still destitute.We’re headed to where it all began for us in media… look for it on One Caribbean Television or One Caribbean Television online and when you follow, like, link or subscribe to Magnetic Media. Recommended for you TCI Premier blasts Opposition side for “slop” information, sets it straight in HOA Nearly 30 Haitians caught following illegal landing in Nassau, says Defence Force Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:#MagneticNewsMedia, #MMNtoFreeport, #rebuildfreeport Bahamas Police Commissioner Greenslade gone to UK, appointed as High Commissionerlast_img read more

August 19

United CEO changes his tone and pledges to review policies

first_img CHICAGO — After people were horrified by video of a passenger getting dragged off a full United Express flight by airport police, the head of United’s parent company said the airline was reaching out to the man to “resolve this situation.”Hours later on Monday, his tone turned defensive. He described the man as “disruptive and belligerent.”By Tuesday afternoon, almost two days after the Sunday evening confrontation in Chicago, CEO Oscar Munoz issued his most contrite apology yet as details emerged about the man seen on cellphone videos recorded by other passengers at O’Hare Airport.“No one should ever be mistreated this way,” said Munoz, who also pledged to conduct a wide-ranging review of company policies.The passenger was identified as physician David Dao, 69, of Elizabethtown, Kentucky, who was convicted more than a decade ago of felony charges involving his prescribing of drugs and spent years trying to regain his medical license.But while Dao’s history quickly became a focus of attention, there’s no indication that his past influenced how he was treated or that the airline or police were aware of his background or would have known anything about him other than basic information such as his name and address, if that.Screaming can be heard on the videos, but nowhere is Dao seen attacking the officers. In fact, he appears relatively passive both when he was dragged down the aisle of the jet and when he is seen standing in the aisle later saying quietly, “I want to go home, I want to go home.”More news:  Windstar celebrates record-breaking bookings in JulyMunoz’s latest statement described the removal as “truly horrific.” He said the company would reassess policies for seeking volunteers to give up their seats, for handling oversold situations and for partnering with airport authorities and local law enforcement.An attorney who represents Dao said his client was being treated at a Chicago hospital for injuries he sustained on the plane and that the family would not comment.Airport officials have said little about Sunday’s events and nothing about Dao’s behaviour before he was pulled from the jet that was bound for Louisville, Kentucky. Likewise, the Chicago Aviation Department has said only that one of its employees who removed Dao did not follow proper procedures and has been placed on leave.No passengers on the plane have mentioned that Dao did anything but refuse to leave the plane when he was ordered to do so.Also Tuesday, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel called the way Dao was treated “completely unacceptable” and praised Aviation Commissioner Ginger Evans for taking “swift action.” He promised that a city investigation would “ensure nothing like this ever happens again.”The event stemmed from a common air travel issue – a full flight. United was trying to make room for four employees of a partner airline, meaning four people had to get off.At first, the airline asked for volunteers, offering $400 and then when that did not work, $800 per passenger to relinquish a seat. When no one voluntarily came forward, United selected four passengers at random.More news:  GLP Worldwide introduces first-ever Wellness programsThree people got off the flight, but the fourth said he was a doctor and needed to get home to treat patients on Monday. He refused to leave.Three Aviation Department police officers got on the plane. Two officers tried to reason with the man before a third came aboard and pointed at the man “basically saying, ‘Sir, you have to get off the plane,”’ said Tyler Bridges, a passenger whose wife, Audra D. Bridges, posted a video on Facebook.One of the officers could be seen grabbing the screaming man from his window seat, across the armrest and dragging him down the aisle by his arms.Other passengers on Flight 3411 are heard saying, “Please, my God,” ”What are you doing?“ ”This is wrong,“ ”Look at what you did to him“ and ”Busted his lip.“The U.S. Department of Transportation announced Tuesday that it is reviewing Sunday’s events to see if United violated rules on overselling flights.Dao’s relatives are focused only on his medical care, attorney Stephen L. Golan said. The family “wants the world to know that they are very appreciative of the outpouring of prayers, concern and support they have received.” Share Wednesday, April 12, 2017 United CEO changes his tone and pledges to review policies Tags: United Airlines By: Don Babwin Source: The Associated Press << Previous PostNext Post >>last_img read more