As a research and education arm of Harvard University and through its partnership with the Boston Park System, the Arnold Arboretum is strongly committed to offering lifetime learning opportunities to the public. To provide leadership in this arena, the Arboretum is pleased to announce that Daphne Minner has joined the staff as director of public programs.“One of the great benefits of the Arboretum’s 131-year partnership between the city of Boston and Harvard University is the opportunity to provide deeply meaningful outreach to the Boston area,” said Arboretum Director and Arnold Professor of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology William (Ned) Friedman. “From Head Start programs, through K-12 STEM education initiatives, and adult and visitor education for lifetime learning, sharing the Arboretum’s resources is an essential part of our mission, and we are thrilled to have Daphne join us to increase the scope and impact of these efforts. With her impressive history of leadership in science education, and her passion for natural history and biodiversity, she is uniquely prepared to help us share our world-class landscape and collections with the public in innovative ways.” Read Full Story
… to play Guadeloupe todayDESPITE a spirited performance by Guyana, they were outclassed by former Champions El Salvador 8-4 in their opening game of the 2019 CONCACAF Beach Soccer Championship.Jamal Haynes netted twice (13th, 17th minutes) while Shane Luckie (6th) and Trevon Archibald (19th) contributed the other two. The team is made up of players from Linden; the only area with a Beach Soccer facility in Guyana.Deshawn Joseph (captain) and, Jermaine Grandison, Michael Wilson, Kennard Simon, Keon Sears, Cordel Johnson, Jeffon Figueira, Ethan Sparman and Jashaun Moore are the other members of the team.Following yesterday’s game against El Salvador, Guyana will play Guadeloupe today, and will close their Group D round of matches against Belize on May 16.El Salvador, 2009 winners also 2015 and 2017 third-place finishers of the tournament, will face Belize today.Guadeloupe opened the tournament with a 7-6 win over Belize.Guyana are no strangers to the tournament, with the ‘Golden Jaguars’ defeating Belize 4-1 in the group stage and Antigua & Barbuda 6-4 in the placement stage, to end 12th out of 16 teams. (Rawle Toney)
Moving toward riskier investments Meer attributed the low jobs figures to some clients having cancelled their applications for finance with the onset of the recession, and to lower than expected uptake in distressed funding – with only R1.4-billion of the R6.1-billion allocated for distressed firms being taken up. Jobs target missed Support for manufacturing The IDC continues to hold significant shareholding in various companies, including fertliser company Foskor, where it holds a 59% stake, Hulett Aluminium (30%) and Mozambican smelter Mozal (24%). Source: BuaNews However, the IDC was running several promotional workshops and activities to boost the awareness of this funding. The IDC also approved R34-million to help abalone farms in the Western Cape to expand and allow black entrepreneurs to acquire a stake in the business. 21 October 2010 However, Meer said that setting up wind farms created very little jobs, so it was important that South Africa began manufacturing technologies for renewable energy, rather than importing these. Over a third of IDC’s total investments went into the capital-intensive mining sector, with the highest number of loans going to the agro-processing sector and to businesses in the trade, catering and accommodation sector. Financing suppliers A further R292-million in funding was approved to companies in the clothing sector to improve their competitiveness, which was expected to save or create 2 100 jobs. Briefing Parliament’s economic development portfolio committee in Cape Town this week, IDC executive Shakeel Meer said that R4.8-billion was disbursed last year, just short of the record R10.8-billion of 2008/09. These included R45-million to woman-owned business in upgrading commuter rail coaches and R30-million to a company manufacturing ducting for the Medupi power station. South Africa’s Industrial Development Corporation (IDC) approved R9.4-billion in funding in 2009/10, helping to save or create some 19 300 jobs as the country recovered from its first recession in 17 years. The 19 300 jobs created fell below the IDC’s target of 37 745 jobs, despite 9 651 of these being created in rural areas – above the target of 8 554 jobs targeted for rural areas. The IDC was also increasing its focus on green investments, targeting projects in wind and solar power, energy management and recycling. Among these were 11 wind projects, three concentrated solar power and four solar voltaic projects. Impairments increased from 10.2% in the 2006 financial year to 16.3% in the last financial year, in line with the IDC’s move towards riskier investments. Meer said the IDC last year approved R376-million to vehicle component and transport equipment manufacturers, which was expected to save 1 500 jobs. About two-thirds of loans went the way of Gauteng province, with about five percent of loans to the rest of the country. Operations in the Free State benefited from the least number of loans. Among its other funding commitments, the IDC was focusing on financing suppliers of rail equipment for the Passenger Rail Agency (Prasa) and Transnet, as well as suppliers to Eskom’s build programmes. Among its other results, the IDC funded 124 small and medium-sized businesses and approved R1.8-billion to fund businesses in other African countries.
BREAKING: Cop killed, 11 hurt in Misamis Oriental grenade blast Every 18 seconds someone is diagnosed with HIV Cayetano dares Lacson, Drilon to take lie-detector test: Wala akong kinita sa SEA Games Turkey seeks arrest of NBA star Kanter – report BSP survey: PH banks see bright horizon amid dark global recession clouds MOST READ Pagasa: Storm intensifies as it nears PAR LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. The Beermen bounced back from a 107-99 loss to the Barangay Ginebra Gin Kings on Sunday and they did it with a strong third quarter, outscoring the Aces, 31-18.Marcio Lassiter and Chris Ross added 19 and 18 points, respectively, while Arwind Santos nearly posted a double-double with 10 points and eight rebounds for San Miguel, which tied Ginebra in second place with a 7-2 card.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingThe Aces, who missed the services of Calvin Abueva and JVee Casio, have now lost six consecutive games after going 4-0 to start the conference. Palace: Duterte to hear out security execs on alleged China control of NGCP BREAKING: Cop killed, 11 hurt in Misamis Oriental grenade blast View comments Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students PLAY LIST 01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ PBA IMAGESAlex Cabagnot led five San Miguel players in double-figures and the Beermen dominated the Alaska Aces, 109-97, in the 2017 PBA Commissioner’s Cup Saturday night at Ynares Center in Antipolo.Cabagnot, the veteran point guard, fired a game-high 25 points and had 10 rebounds, six assists and three steals while import Charles Rhodes also notched a double-double with 24 points and 10 rebounds.ADVERTISEMENT
Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Wintry storm delivers US travel woes before Thanksgiving No stopping Blaze Spikers MOST READ Bloomberg: US would benefit from more, not fewer, immigrants Top Lady Maroon Isa Molde went out with an injured left knee and ankle with the score at 4-0 in the second set in favor of the Lady Eagles after landing on teammate Mirgie Bautista.Ace Ateneo setter Deanna Wong admitted to being scared seeing that, and after the team offered their prayers, the Lady Eagles went on with the bombardment and won pulling away.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics“I really felt scared after that (Molde injury), but we had to focus on the game,” said Wong. “We gave our prayers to Isa, but we badly needed this win.”Wong had 24 excellent sets in the rout and gave a hint that she and her teammates will not be slowing down. Colombia protesters vow new strike after talks hit snag Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netAteneo remained an unstoppable force in the UAAP women’s volleyball tournament, crushing a depleted University of the Philippines side on Saturday at Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay for its eighth straight win that enabled the Lady Eagles to pull farther away from the pack.The Lady Eagles continued to be untouchable after a season-opening loss, with a 25-23, 25-16, 25-23 victory over the Lady Maroons showcasing their vast arsenal against a foe that suffered a major loss in manpower early in the second set.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES View comments PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Trump tells impeachment jokes at annual turkey pardon event Google Philippines names new country director Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. “We feel the pressure. This is a big crowd. Big venue. But it’s our choice to put that pressure away,” added Wong.Kat Tolentino led Ateneo with 15 points, while Maddie Madayag and Bea de Leon contributed 10 and nine, respectively.Molde, meanwhile, was immediately brought to Philippine General Hospital for examinations.The star open hitter of UP thus became the third league star to sustain an injury this season after University of Santo Tomas’ Milena Alessandrini and Far Eastern University’s Lycha Ebon.ADVERTISEMENT
Crystal Palace invite prospective purchasersby Ian Ferris21 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveCrystal Palace have been put up for sale as part of a deal that would value the Premier League club at UK£210 million (US$258 million),according to City AM, reports, www.sportspromedia.com/.The business newspaper claims to have seen a document intended for prospective buyers offering to facilitate the purchase of at least 75 per cent and up to 90 per cent of the club for either a single buyer or consortium.The document, which was apparently drawn up by Zenith Global Capital Partners rather than Palace themselves, reportedly says the club would be sold-debt free and have a projected valuation of UK£525 million (US$645 million) by year three and UK£700 million (US$860 million) by year five.It has been widely reported this year that Palace’s American owners, Joshua Harris and David Blitzer, are looking to sell their stake in the club just three years after investing in the team.However, City AM’s report added that Steve Parish, Palace’s long-serving chairman and minority owner, is open to remaining at the club but would be willing to dilute his 18 per cent stake. TagsPremiership NewsAbout the authorIan FerrisShare the loveHave your say
Ingredients Eggs 4 Sugar 3/4 cup Cake Flour 1/2 cup Baking Cocoa 1/3 cup Baking Powder 1 tsp Salt 1/4 tsp Strawberry/Raspberry Jam 1/2 cup Vanilla Ice cream (softened) 2 cups Confectioners’ Sugar Hot Fudge & Whipped ToppingPreparation Place egg whites in large bowl; let it stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and add 1/2 cup sugar on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt together twice; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well (batter will be very thick). In a large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Stir a third of the whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites. Spread evenly into prepared pan. Also Read – PUMPKIN MASH, TAMATAR RASSABake at 375°F for 10-12 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off paper. Roll up cake in towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool on a wire rack. Unroll cake; spread jam to within 1/2 inch of edges. Top with ice cream. Roll up without towel. Place seam side down on a platter. Cover and freeze for at least 4 hours before slicing. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar; serve with hot fudge topping and whipped topping. (Courtesy: Chef Sujeet Singh, Radisson Blu, Noida, Sec 55)
Seoul: North Korean leader Kim Jong Un called a full meeting Wednesday of a top committee of the ruling Workers’ Party to address what he described as the “prevailing tense situation”, state media reported. The gathering of the Central Committee comes after Kim’s Hanoi summit with US President Donald Trump broke up without agreement in February, and as South Korean President Moon Jae-in flies to Washington for talks with the US leader. But the North’s official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) appeared to indicate that Kim may be focussing on Pyongyang’s continued push to develop its economy. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from USIn a meeting with senior officials Tuesday, Kim ordered them to display “an attitude befitting the masters of the revolution and construction under the prevailing tense situation and thus follow through on the new strategic line of the Party”, KCNA reported. Last April Kim declared that the ruling party’s “new strategic line” would be “socialist economic construction” and its quest for nuclear development was complete. Kim made “a deep analysis of the matters pending urgent solution in the party and state”, KCNA said, adding that at Wednesday’s meeting the central committee will “decide the new orientation and ways of struggle in line with the need of the prevailing revolutionary situation”. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential pollsIt comes ahead of the opening of the country’s rubber stamp legislature on Thursday. Cheong Seong-chang, an analyst at the Sejong Institute, said it would be difficult for Kim to lay out a new policy direction while Trump continues to express a willingness to maintain dialogue. Instead Wednesday’s meeting could involve a reshuffle of party officials including Kim Yong Chol, the North’s top envoy for talks with the US, who has been “blamed the most for the failure of the Hanoi summit”, he said. “It would signal a green light if he is replaced with a more flexible and practical figure, but if he stays, denuclearisation talks won’t be easy,” Cheong said. Trump and Kim held their first landmark summit in Singapore last June, where the North Korean leader signed a vaguely-worded deal on the “denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula”.
Ambikapur (C’garh): Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath accused the Congress of being hand in glove with anti-nationals, and said its manifesto for the Lok Sabha election promotes terrorism and Naxalism. Addressing an election rally in Ambikapur town under the Surguja Lok Sabha constituency in Chhattisgarh, he also alleged that the Congress government in the state was not serious about tackling Naxalism and the killing of BJP MLA Bheema Mandavi in an IED blast in Dantewada earlier this week was its example. “Congress’ manifesto is an encouragement to terrorism and Naxalism. Congress ka hath deshdrohiyo ke sath (Congress is hand in glove with anti-nationals),” Adityanath said. “Lord Ram is associated with the memories of Ayodhya and Chhattisgarh but some people are now denying the existence of Ram. Congress is raising questions over the existence of Ram. It was the Congress that raised questions over the Ram Setu and tried then to destroy it,” he said. Time has come to teach a lesson to those who raise questions over the existence of Ram, he said, adding, “We will avenge the insult of lord Ram.” Highlighting various schemes launched by the BJP-led central government, he said, “Modi ji has been working to fulfil the dream of ‘ek bharat, shrestha (superior) bharat’.” The Congress government is not serious in tackling terrorism and Naxalism and the recent killing of BJP MLA is its example. “If you want to see law and order then come to Uttar Pradesh,” he said. Mandavi and four police personnel were killed on April 9 in a Naxal attack in Dantewada district of the state. “Had the BJP been in power now, this (Naxal attack on BJP MLA) could have been avoided,” he said. Adityanath also accused the Congress of denying benefits of the welfare schemes to the people in the state, he said, “Mafia raj of the Congress in the state is trying to end various schemes like Ayushman Bharat Yojana, meant to benefit the people, and were operational in the previous Raman Singh government.” In Chhattisgarh, mining and land mafias have become influential (after Congress came to power), he alleged. He also appealed to people to vote for Modi to make him the prime minister again. BJP has fielded its former MLA Renuka Singh in Surguja (ST) Lok Sabha constituency, which will go to polls in the third phase of election in the state on April 23. Congress has fielded its senior tribal leader and sitting MLA Khelsai Singh from the seat.